Ethnopharmacological relevance: Tilia tomentosa Moench bud extracts (TTBEs) is used in traditional medicine for centuries as sedative compound. Different plants belonging to the Tilia genus have shown their efficacy in the treatment of anxiety but still little is known about the mechanism of action of their bud extracts. Aim of the study: To evaluate the action of TTBEs as anxiolytic and sedative compound on in vitro hippocampal neurons. Material and methods: The anxiolytic effect of TTBEs was assayed by testing the effects of these compounds on GABAA receptor-activated chloride current of hippocampal neurons by means of the patch-clamp technique and microelectrode-arrays (MEAs). Results: TTBEs acutely administered on mouse hippocampal neurons, activated a chloride current comparable to that measured in the presence of GABA (100 mM). Bicuculline (100 mM) and picrotoxin (100 mM) blocked about 90% of this current, while the remaining 10% was blocked by adding the benzodiazepine (BDZ) antagonist flumazenil (30 mM). Flumazenil alone blocked nearly 60% of the TTBEs activated current, suggesting that TTBEs binds to both GABAA and BDZ receptor sites. Application of high doses of TTBEs on spontaneous active hippocampal neurons grown for 3 weeks on MEAs blocked the synchronous activity of these neurons. The effects were mimicked by GABA and prevented by picrotoxin (100 mM) and flumazenil (30 mM). At minimal doses, TTBEs reduced the frequency of synchronized bursts and increased the cross-correlation index of synchronized neuronal firing. Conclusions: Our data suggest that TTBEs mimics GABA and BDZ agonists by targeting hippocampal GABAergic synapses and inhibiting network excitability by increasing the strength of inhibitory synaptic outputs. Our results contribute toward the validation of TTBEs as effective sedative and anxiolytic compound.

Bud extracts from Tilia tomentosa Moench inhibit hippocampal neuronal firing through GABAA and benzodiazepine receptors activation

ALLIO, ARIANNA;CALORIO, CHIARA;FRANCHINO, Claudio;GAVELLO, DANIELA;CARBONE, Emilio;MARCANTONI, Andrea
Last
2015

Abstract

Ethnopharmacological relevance: Tilia tomentosa Moench bud extracts (TTBEs) is used in traditional medicine for centuries as sedative compound. Different plants belonging to the Tilia genus have shown their efficacy in the treatment of anxiety but still little is known about the mechanism of action of their bud extracts. Aim of the study: To evaluate the action of TTBEs as anxiolytic and sedative compound on in vitro hippocampal neurons. Material and methods: The anxiolytic effect of TTBEs was assayed by testing the effects of these compounds on GABAA receptor-activated chloride current of hippocampal neurons by means of the patch-clamp technique and microelectrode-arrays (MEAs). Results: TTBEs acutely administered on mouse hippocampal neurons, activated a chloride current comparable to that measured in the presence of GABA (100 mM). Bicuculline (100 mM) and picrotoxin (100 mM) blocked about 90% of this current, while the remaining 10% was blocked by adding the benzodiazepine (BDZ) antagonist flumazenil (30 mM). Flumazenil alone blocked nearly 60% of the TTBEs activated current, suggesting that TTBEs binds to both GABAA and BDZ receptor sites. Application of high doses of TTBEs on spontaneous active hippocampal neurons grown for 3 weeks on MEAs blocked the synchronous activity of these neurons. The effects were mimicked by GABA and prevented by picrotoxin (100 mM) and flumazenil (30 mM). At minimal doses, TTBEs reduced the frequency of synchronized bursts and increased the cross-correlation index of synchronized neuronal firing. Conclusions: Our data suggest that TTBEs mimics GABA and BDZ agonists by targeting hippocampal GABAergic synapses and inhibiting network excitability by increasing the strength of inhibitory synaptic outputs. Our results contribute toward the validation of TTBEs as effective sedative and anxiolytic compound.
172
288
296
www.elsevier.com/locate/jethpharm
Anxiolytic drug; Benzodiazepines; Buds; GABA<inf>A</inf> receptors; Microelectrode array (MEA); Tilia tomentosa Moench; Pharmacology; Drug Discovery3003 Pharmaceutical Science
Allio, Arianna; Calorio, Chiara; Franchino, Claudio; Gavello, Daniela; Carbone, Emilio; Marcantoni, Andrea
File in questo prodotto:
File Dimensione Formato  
Allio et el._2015.pdf

Accesso riservato

Descrizione: Articolo principale
Tipo di file: PDF EDITORIALE
Dimensione 1.22 MB
Formato Adobe PDF
1.22 MB Adobe PDF   Visualizza/Apri   Richiedi una copia
Allio et al._resubmitted.pdf

Accesso aperto

Descrizione: submitted
Tipo di file: PREPRINT (PRIMA BOZZA)
Dimensione 1.1 MB
Formato Adobe PDF
1.1 MB Adobe PDF Visualizza/Apri

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/2318/1531460
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 10
  • Scopus 26
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 24
social impact