AIMS: Atrial tachycardias are common after repair of atrial septal defect (ASD). Although ablation has shown promising results in the short and mid-term follow-up, little data regarding the very long-term success exist. Our aim was to assess very long-term follow-up in patients who have undergone electroanatomic-guided radiofrequency (RF) ablation of late-onset atrial arrhythmias after ASD surgery. METHODS AND RESULTS: Forty-six consecutive patients with surgically repaired ASD were referred for atrial tachycardia ablation. Electrophysiological (EP) study and ablation procedure with the aid of an electroanatomic mapping (EAM) system were performed. Mean age was 49 ± 13 years (females 61%). The presenting arrhythmias were typical atrial flutter (48%), atypical atrial flutter (35%), and atrial tachycardia (17%). In 41% of patients, atrial fibrillation was also present. The EP study showed a right atrial macroreentrant circuit in all the patients. In 12 of 46 (26%), the circuit was localized in the cavo-tricuspid isthmus, whereas in the remaining 34 patients (74%) was atriotomy-dependent. Acute success was 100%. Clinical arrhythmia recurred in 24% of the patients. Nine patients underwent a second and two a third ablation procedure, reaching an overall efficacy of 87% (40 of 46) at a mean follow-up of 7.3 ± 3.8 years since the last procedure. With antiarrhythmic drugs the success rate increased to 96% (44 of 46). No complications occurred. CONCLUSION: In patients with surgically corrected ASD, EAM-guided RF ablation of late-onset macroreentrant atrial arrhythmias demonstrated a high success rate in a very long-term follow-up. Therefore, RF ablation could be considered early in the management of late-onset macroreentrant atrial tachycardias.

Very long-term results of electroanatomic-guided radiofrequency ablation of atrial arrhythmias in patients with surgically corrected atrial septal defect.

EBRILLE, ELISA;BATTAGLIA, Alberto;RAIMONDO, Cristina;GAITA, Fiorenzo
2014-01-01

Abstract

AIMS: Atrial tachycardias are common after repair of atrial septal defect (ASD). Although ablation has shown promising results in the short and mid-term follow-up, little data regarding the very long-term success exist. Our aim was to assess very long-term follow-up in patients who have undergone electroanatomic-guided radiofrequency (RF) ablation of late-onset atrial arrhythmias after ASD surgery. METHODS AND RESULTS: Forty-six consecutive patients with surgically repaired ASD were referred for atrial tachycardia ablation. Electrophysiological (EP) study and ablation procedure with the aid of an electroanatomic mapping (EAM) system were performed. Mean age was 49 ± 13 years (females 61%). The presenting arrhythmias were typical atrial flutter (48%), atypical atrial flutter (35%), and atrial tachycardia (17%). In 41% of patients, atrial fibrillation was also present. The EP study showed a right atrial macroreentrant circuit in all the patients. In 12 of 46 (26%), the circuit was localized in the cavo-tricuspid isthmus, whereas in the remaining 34 patients (74%) was atriotomy-dependent. Acute success was 100%. Clinical arrhythmia recurred in 24% of the patients. Nine patients underwent a second and two a third ablation procedure, reaching an overall efficacy of 87% (40 of 46) at a mean follow-up of 7.3 ± 3.8 years since the last procedure. With antiarrhythmic drugs the success rate increased to 96% (44 of 46). No complications occurred. CONCLUSION: In patients with surgically corrected ASD, EAM-guided RF ablation of late-onset macroreentrant atrial arrhythmias demonstrated a high success rate in a very long-term follow-up. Therefore, RF ablation could be considered early in the management of late-onset macroreentrant atrial tachycardias.
2014
16
12
1800
1807
http://europace.oxfordjournals.org/content/europace/16/12/1800.full.pdf
Scaglione M;Caponi D;Ebrille E;Di Donna P;Di Clemente F;Battaglia A;Raimondo C;Appendino M;Gaita F
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/2318/156277
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 5
  • Scopus 32
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 23
social impact