A 10-year-old, 6-kg male Yorkshire terrier dog was scheduled for routine dental cleaning. No significant problem was observed either during anaesthesia, which was induced with propofol, or during recovery. However, 2 hours after discharge, the dog’s owner returned to the clinic, complaining that the animal was lethargic and had had bloody diarrhoea. On physical examination the dog was depressed, dyspnoeic, tachycardic and hypoglycaemic. Despite supportive treatment, the dog deteriorated and died within a few hours. A presumed diagnosis of sepsis was confirmed by laboratory testing. Bacteriological and molecular examinations of both premortem blood samples and the anaesthetic, highlighted the presence of Ochrobactrum anthropi, an opportunistic pathogen usually associated with immunocompromised hosts with indwelling medical devices. To the authors’ knowledge, this is the first case of sepsis in a healthy dog due to contamination of an anaesthetic solution by O. anthropi, suggesting a potential role of this microorganism as an emerging pathogen.

Lethal septic shock after dental scaling in a healthy dog due to Ochrobactrum anthropi-contaminated propofol

Franci P.;
2015-01-01

Abstract

A 10-year-old, 6-kg male Yorkshire terrier dog was scheduled for routine dental cleaning. No significant problem was observed either during anaesthesia, which was induced with propofol, or during recovery. However, 2 hours after discharge, the dog’s owner returned to the clinic, complaining that the animal was lethargic and had had bloody diarrhoea. On physical examination the dog was depressed, dyspnoeic, tachycardic and hypoglycaemic. Despite supportive treatment, the dog deteriorated and died within a few hours. A presumed diagnosis of sepsis was confirmed by laboratory testing. Bacteriological and molecular examinations of both premortem blood samples and the anaesthetic, highlighted the presence of Ochrobactrum anthropi, an opportunistic pathogen usually associated with immunocompromised hosts with indwelling medical devices. To the authors’ knowledge, this is the first case of sepsis in a healthy dog due to contamination of an anaesthetic solution by O. anthropi, suggesting a potential role of this microorganism as an emerging pathogen.
2015
56
345
347
Franci P.; Dotto G.; Cattai A.; Pasotto D.
File in questo prodotto:
File Dimensione Formato  
Lethal septic shock after dental scaling in a healthy dog due to Ochrobactrum anthropi-contaminated propofol.pdf

Accesso riservato

Dimensione 93.69 kB
Formato Adobe PDF
93.69 kB Adobe PDF   Visualizza/Apri   Richiedi una copia
Lethal shock.pdf

Accesso riservato

Tipo di file: PDF EDITORIALE
Dimensione 93.66 kB
Formato Adobe PDF
93.66 kB Adobe PDF   Visualizza/Apri   Richiedi una copia

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/2318/1691498
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? ND
  • Scopus 7
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 4
social impact