In the present study the efficacy of systemic and topical steroid treatment in the management of 11 patients with mucous membrane pemphigoid (MMP) confirmed histologically and immunologically has been evaluated. Eight patients were treated with a topically applied clobetasol in a bioadhesive gel (2-3 times/daily) and with chlorexidine mouth-washes (3 times/daily) and myconazole gel (1 time/daily) as antimycotics. The remaining 3 were treated with systemic prednisone (25 to 100 mg/daily) followed by a topical therapy with clobetasol, chlorexidine and myconazole. In 6 cases (54%), 4 topically treated and 2 systemically plus topically treated, we observed a complete clearance of signs and symptoms of MMP in an average period of 5.7 months. In the remaining 5 cases (46%), 4 topically treated and 1 systemically plus topically treated, we observed partial healing of the oral lesions. One patient treated with a high dose of prednisone (100 mg/daily) showed side-effects (insomnia, fluid retention and gastralgia) whereas other 3 subjects had oral candidiasis. In a mean follow-up time of 13 months (range 6 to 27) 6 patients (54%) were free of disease, 3 (27%) had a marked improvement and 2 (18%) had new active lesions of MMP. These results suggest that often in the treatment of MMP a systemic corticosteroid therapy followed by a treatment with high potency topical steroids is useful to obtain a good control of MMP.
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.