Background MRI studies reported that ALS patients with bulbar and spinal onset showed focal cortical changes in corresponding regions of the motor homunculus. We evaluated the capability of brain 2-[F-18]FDG-PET to disclose the metabolic features characterizing patients with pure bulbar or spinal motor impairment. Methods We classified as pure bulbar (PB) patients with bulbar onset and a normal score in the spinal items of the ALSFRS-R, and as pure spinal (PS) patients with spinal onset and a normal score in the bulbar items at the time of PET. Forty healthy controls (HC) were enrolled. We compared PB and PS, and each patient group with HC. Metabolic clusters showing a statistically significant difference between PB and PS were tested to evaluate their accuracy in discriminating the two groups. We performed a leave-one-out cross-validation (LOOCV) over the entire dataset. Four classifiers were considered: support vector machines (SVM), K-nearest neighbours, linear classifier, and decision tree. Then, we used a separate test set, including 10% of patients, with the remaining 90% composing the training set. Results We included 63 PB, 271 PS, and 40 HC. PB showed a relative hypometabolism compared to PS in bilateral precentral gyrus in the regions of the motor cortex involved in the control of bulbar function. SVM showed the best performance, resulting in the lowest error rate in both LOOCV (4.19%) and test set (9.09 +/- 2.02%). Conclusions Our data support the concept of the focality of ALS onset and the use of 2-[F-18]FDG-PET as a biomarker for precision medicine-oriented clinical trials.

Brain metabolic differences between pure bulbar and pure spinal ALS: a 2-[18F]FDG-PET study

Canosa, Antonio;Moglia, Cristina;Vasta, Rosario;Grassano, Maurizio;Palumbo, Francesca;Cabras, Sara;Di Pede, Francesca;De Mattei, Filippo;Matteoni, Enrico;Polverari, Giulia;Manera, Umberto;Calvo, Andrea;Pagani, Marco;Chiò, Adriano
2022-01-01

Abstract

Background MRI studies reported that ALS patients with bulbar and spinal onset showed focal cortical changes in corresponding regions of the motor homunculus. We evaluated the capability of brain 2-[F-18]FDG-PET to disclose the metabolic features characterizing patients with pure bulbar or spinal motor impairment. Methods We classified as pure bulbar (PB) patients with bulbar onset and a normal score in the spinal items of the ALSFRS-R, and as pure spinal (PS) patients with spinal onset and a normal score in the bulbar items at the time of PET. Forty healthy controls (HC) were enrolled. We compared PB and PS, and each patient group with HC. Metabolic clusters showing a statistically significant difference between PB and PS were tested to evaluate their accuracy in discriminating the two groups. We performed a leave-one-out cross-validation (LOOCV) over the entire dataset. Four classifiers were considered: support vector machines (SVM), K-nearest neighbours, linear classifier, and decision tree. Then, we used a separate test set, including 10% of patients, with the remaining 90% composing the training set. Results We included 63 PB, 271 PS, and 40 HC. PB showed a relative hypometabolism compared to PS in bilateral precentral gyrus in the regions of the motor cortex involved in the control of bulbar function. SVM showed the best performance, resulting in the lowest error rate in both LOOCV (4.19%) and test set (9.09 +/- 2.02%). Conclusions Our data support the concept of the focality of ALS onset and the use of 2-[F-18]FDG-PET as a biomarker for precision medicine-oriented clinical trials.
2022
1
7
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis; Positron emission tomography
Canosa, Antonio; Martino, Alessio; Giuliani, Alessandro; Moglia, Cristina; Vasta, Rosario; Grassano, Maurizio; Palumbo, Francesca; Cabras, Sara; Di Pede, Francesca; De Mattei, Filippo; Matteoni, Enrico; Polverari, Giulia; Manera, Umberto; Calvo, Andrea; Pagani, Marco; Chiò, Adriano
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/2318/1880156
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 0
  • Scopus 4
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 3
social impact